Red Nova Labs
Senior Software Engineer
August 2017 - Present
Red Nova Labs powers storEDGE — the technology powerhouse of the self storage industry.
- Fixed bugs and added features to storEDGE facility management software.
- Created, tested, and deployed CMS in the Phoenix framework with Elixir to display marketing information on software login.
- Developed tool to assist developers and accountants updating financial data.
- Updated and expanded tool in Elixir to send notifications to customers.
- Mentored junior developers and contributed to documentation and refactoring to improve system.
Software Engineer (Contract)
May 2016 - Present
Sourcing.io is an index of information about millions of engineers with tools to browse and filter the data to find the perfect hire.
- Fixed bugs and added features on Sinatra back-end.
- Designed and implemented new features on the front-end, with a custom SPA written in Coffeescript.
- Expanded and maintained Stripe integration.
- Monitored and maintained server stack, including Heroku, Elasticsearch, Postgres, Redis, and Memcache.
- Responsible for the design, implementation, testing, and deployment of enhancements.
Multi Service Technology Solutions
Senior Software Engineer
May 2016 - August 2017
Multi Service specializes in the design, implementation and management of commercial billing and payment solutions, specifically closed-loop, net pay programs.
- Improved and advocated Agile development and testing.
- Mentored and guided team members on new tools and the use of modern development practices as a workshop facilitator, and through pair programming, and one-on-one sessions.
- Assisted in the maintenance of legacy Perl and Oracle applications.
- Architected and built new applications and tools in Ruby on Rails 5.
- Create easily-deployed development and testing environments using Docker.
- Replaced legacy functionality with clean, well-tested RESTful JSON APIs.
- Set up configuration and deployment of services to AWS.
- Documented APIs and systems with Markdown
Senior Software Engineer
April 2015 - April 2016
Strenuus is the largest collector of managed health care data in the US.
- Part of the team that developed and deployed Provider Nexus, a RESTful JSON API for exposing health provider, location, and insurance plan data to consumer interfaces.
- Performed deep query and code optimization in all areas of the API system.
- Implemented GIS geosearch features
- Implemented weighted full-text search algorithms
- Helped develop import processes to generate gigabytes of deeply structured data on a nightly basis.
- Assisted in ongoing Ruby on Rails development efforts, using React, Redux, and Flux.
August 2014 - April 2015
UnitedLex is a global leader in legal and data solutions
- Built out service layer, exposing RESTful API for other apps' consumption
- Assisted in the architecture and development of a work distribution engine.
- Used Knockout.js to build and modify UI
- Developed suite of unit tests to verify system functionality
- Various refactoring, configuration and documentation tasks
readMedia, Inc./Merit Pages, Inc. (Remote)
June 2012 - August 2014
readMedia helps its customers get attention for their schools, for their students, and for themselves.
- Maintained and implemented new features in existing legacy software
- Assisted in development and debugging of new MeritPages.com product
- Assisted in creation of SOA for primary products
- Developed data warehouse for ad-hoc and customer reporting and graphing
- Implemented code quality thresholds, unit testing, and architecture reviews
- Provided maintenance and support for all aspects of the application
Google (via acquisition)
September 2011 - June 2012
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful.
- Implemented Google’s Kennedy theming and branding in Zavers' El Paso Proxy Authentication Server.
- Overhauled El Paso branding and flow to integrate with Google services and retailers.
- Added flows and branding for Winn-Dixie and D'Agostino's retailers
- Participated in redeveloping cross-team workflows for development and deployment of Zavers' back-end services
- Developed retailer-specific mobile coupon site
- Implemented SSO authentication integration solution for retailers
Zavers.com (acquired by Google)
April 2008 - September 2011
Zavers.com provides a digital coupon platform, integrated at the point of sale, serving the needs of consumers, retailers, and manufacturers.
- Translated business requirements into features and stories.
- Participated in the architecture, design, and implementation of a prototype service in Ruby on Rails.
- Built and maintained a thorough test suite with RSpec, Selenium, Test::Unit and Webrat.
- Assisted in the architecture and development of a scalable SOA implementation with Rails, Sinatra, and Rack.
- Assisted in the development of Capistrano scripts to ease deployment.
- Developed internal tools for testing, monitoring, data generation, and load testing.
- Throroughly documented public and private APIs and tools.
Software Engineer (Contract)
March 2009 - January 2012
BensonsLife.com is a social networking site with a focus on privacy, security, and local communities and groups.
- Translated business requirements into stories and features.
- Architected and implemented business requirements in Ruby on Rails.
- Wrote and maintained a thorough test suite with RSpec and Story Runner.
- Configured and maintained VPSes for all services.
- Configured and maintained all services, including nginx, Subversion, Postfix, and MySQL.
- Wrote and maintained scripts for deploying application code with Capistrano.
- Performed occasional emergency troubleshooting.
Grantham Education Corporation
Programming Manager/Senior Programmer (promoted)
July 2006 - April 2008
Grantham University is a nationally-accredited online university providing bachelor's and master's degrees, with a focus on deployed military and nontraditional students.
- Implemented and maintained new system architecture for core business application.
- Managed staff of six developers.
- Developed timelines and project plans for development staff to meet organizational goals.
- Translated business objectives into code requirements.
- Responsible for reporting progress and issues to the business, and for maintaining code and data quality.
- Developed modules to consume APIs and services via SOAP, XML-RPC, REST, FTP and others.
- Led optimization and deployment efforts.
July 2005 - July 2006
- Implemented Subversion and Trac for versioning and bug tracking to replace shares and spreadsheets.
- Completed and deployed abandoned core business application, written in C#/.Net.
- Maintained and updated student-facing website, written in classic ASP/VBScript.
- Re-architected core application from the ground up to correct schema, architecture, and code quality.
- Implemented new architecture as a Rails web service, exposing business logic through an XML-RPC API.
- Assisted with moving services and recovering data in the wake of severe business disruption due to Hurricane Katrina.
- Assisted networking/hardware team with maintaining and updating servers, including emergency response, tool evaluation, and penetration analysis.
SCP Pool Corp./Ascent Consulting
January 2004 - September 2004
SCP Pool Corp. is the world's largest wholesale distributor of swimming pool supplies.
- Developed, maintained, and supported processes to move data on a nightly basis from the legacy Pick systems to an SQL data warehouse environment and customer systems.
- Managed and administered the transfer of scheduled jobs from PHANTOM to the cron scheduler.
- Maintained and developed reports from the legacy systems and the data warehouse.
- Helped develop back-end validation components for the Web-based E-Commerce system.
- Analyzed and documented the legacy segmented sequential access data files and developed C++ software to retrieve checksums from the data files directly, rather than using the TCL interface.
Turning Point Solutions Group
June 2000 - December 2003
Turning Point Solutions Group provides complete network and custom software solutions for businesses, organizations and individuals.
- Designed and developed desktop and web applications with C#, Visual Basic 6, Classic ASP, PHP, Microsoft Access, MySQL, and SQL Server:
- Medical: transcription tracking and reporting, pharmaceutical dispensation and tracking, medical device sales tracking, and serial robotics communication.
- Churches: web content development and automation.
- Manufacturing: Automated EDS transactions.
- State and Local Government: Social service reporting and job training and education sites.
- Performed data conversion services for SQL Server (7.0 and 2000), MySQL 3.X, and Microsoft Access from Oracle, Pervasive SQL, Clipper, RPG2, and numerous minor proprietary formats.
- Installed, secured, administered, and maintained web hosting and DNS servers on Windows and Linux
May 1998 - June 2000
UniComp, Inc. provided database and application development services for small-to-medium businesses.
- Designed and developed database applications for MS-DOS, Windows 9X and SCO Unix platforms using a variety of tools, including Informix-SQL, C, Visual Basic, and Microsoft Access.
- Developed software and databases for a variety of industries, including hospitality, retail, trucking, and hospice care.
- Developed hand-held data collection for ruggedized Telxon and Radix devices in C and Assembly.
- Developed remote floodgate control with Visual Basic communicating to hardware relays.
- Provided technical documentation and on-site training for end-users and developers.